Sunrise (Gruppekøb aflyst)

Re: Sunrise Gruppekøb

Indlægaf Claus-DK » 4. aug 2011, 07:11

Og i øvrigt behøver i slet ikke svare på engelsk, vores engelske medlemmer bruger google translate og jeg har fået gode feedback omkring det..
Claus-DK

Brugeravatar
Administrator

Geografisk sted: Kliplev

Indlægaf iancraig10 » 7. aug 2011, 23:31

Hi,

I'll write in English and hope that it doesn't offend or make things difficult for you guys. I can translate what you write.

I have had a prototype of the amp at home to try and frankly, I think that it is a keeper.

It has a similar sound sig to the Bravo with a little more extension. It has an obvious 'tubey' sound, which was done on purpose by the designer. It is not as extended in the treble as some other amps but before that puts you off, I'll explain how it helps the sound.

It has a huge presence in the bass. It goes very deep and driving the Beyer DT990, it really hits hard with very strong and fast slam. The bass is absolutely gorgeous and the great thing about it is that after the intitial attack, the bass clears and lets upper clarity through.

Because the highs aren't strident you are able to turn the amp up loud without fatigue. When you turn down, it sounds just as good and the scale of the sound diminishes - you don't feel as though some of the spectrum has gone as you can with some headphone amps. It scales well at all volume levels.

After prolonged listening - I realised that it also has a lovely 'inner clarity' enabling you to hear the layers in the music. That bass weight is a real feature so I listened to orchestral in order to check to see whether it was just too much.

I LOVED it with orchestral. That bass weight translates into beautiful timpani and double bass sounds. In fact, I used the opening to Vaughan Williams London Symphony which is difficult on headphones because it starts with low rumbles from the double basses. From this amp to the DT990's I could hear the individual notes in the double basses (and individual players) and when the symphony got going, the brass 'rasp' is still there in spite of the amp's mellowness but the brass tone is gorgeous.

This amp seems to produce enormous dynamics and it is a very 'warm' listen. I didn't like it on the AKG K701. (There may be a solution to this at a later date I think)

The sound is absolutely brilliant. It has similarities with the G2/Bravos but is slightly more extended, less noisy and has better dynamics.

One weaker area with all open frame amps is their susceptibility to noise. This amp is prone (at least in my house) to picking up noise from the mains. The Bravos/and copies are worse but again, mine is a prototype and I will have a 'market' one soon and so perhaps this aspect may be better. We are working on a 'fix' or at least an 'improvement'.

Jeremy is a great guy to deal with and is very enthusiastic about hi fi. He loves his own amp very much and is very open about design and suggestions.

I used the prototype with a Russian military valve that dates '69 I think. It is very good.

I believe this to be a lovely enthusiasts amp and as I said earlier, will have one of my own to keep rather than borrow a prototype version and forget about it. This is a keeper and well worth making.

I hope that my English isn't too complex for most of you, but I have found that if I translate it to Danish, it doesn't translate quite correctly.

Ian
iancraig10

Indlægaf Claus-DK » 7. aug 2011, 23:41

rullw3 rullw3 rulle2 rulle2 musik17 musik17
Fantastisk review Ian, jeg kan kun erklære mig enig, jeg har dog ingen problemer med støj, men jeg bor jo også ude hvor kragerne vender.. 4musik
Claus-DK

Brugeravatar
Administrator

Indlægaf iancraig10 » 7. aug 2011, 23:52

Claus-DK skrev:rullw3 rullw3 rulle2 rulle2 musik17 musik17
Fantastisk review Ian, jeg kan kun erklære mig enig, jeg har dog ingen problemer med støj, men jeg bor jo også ude hvor kragerne vender.. 4musik

Thanks Claus.

I love this amp. It has that gorgeous tubey sound with 'fat' bass and yet there is a lovely clarity through its sound. The dynamics on a nice strong power supply are enormous as well.

I'm really pleased that I'll have my own (final version) amp soon since this one isn't totally the same as the released one.

It's a massive improvement on the G2/Bravos in terms of inner clarity and has lower noise. (at least on my version)

I really like Jeremy's outlook and he has a very 'open' policy about what it does and doesn't do. He's an enthusiast himself rather than just a salesman and he's worked very hard with Frans on the design of this amp.

I hope that members here are comfortable with the language and are able to understand what I'm saying ok. I didn't translate to Danish because I realise that it can come out a little strange!!

Also Claus, you know what a stickler I am for noises, wheezes and pops in hi fi. I can't help focusing on such things since it always takes my focus away from the music when it's there. So I am being hyper-critical but believe that it is important to get it right if possible so we're looking at fixes because it's bound to turn up somewhere else in the world!!

I might add that it has a lot of gain and the point where the noises that I get appear is far too high to listen to music at!!!

BTW - There's a lovely atmosphere on these forums. Very nice people. I just wish that I could speak Danish ...... rulle4

Ian
Senest rettet af iancraig10 7. aug 2011, 23:58, rettet i alt 1 gang.
iancraig10

Indlægaf Aquila » 7. aug 2011, 23:56

I am glad you didn't translate your post from English to Danish, because it would more or less become unreadable :-)

I also hope everyone is okay with me replying in English, because this language has a special place in my heart, and I take every opportunity I get to communicate in this language!

Fantastic write-up Ian - really elaborative and easily understandable! Seems like a great value for money amplifier!
WESTONE ES5!!!!
Aquila

Brugeravatar

Geografisk sted: Kolding.

Indlægaf iancraig10 » 8. aug 2011, 00:02

Oh my goodness ..... perfect English!!!! It's like being in another country and speaking English, thinking no-one understands you and suddenly someone turns round and says. 'Oh yes ..... I understood you all of the time!!!'

I think that it is an excellent value amp actually. If I'm honest, I am a bit of a nit-picker with hi fi and tend to focus on very minor things and look for fixes. If I'm honest, I think I can find fault with every amp that I have but eventually accept their deficiencies.

This is a fun thing and the instructions that come with it to build it yourself are very easy to understand (although not in Danish). It is aimed at beginners and the end result is so stunning that if you were a beginner, you would be absolute enthralled by the work that you had done.

It's a really tubey sound with a nice 'organic' bite up top without being agressive at all.

I don't know how the price matches with Danish values but I suspect that it is probably 'relatively' cheaper for you guys than me in the UK.

Ian
iancraig10

Indlægaf Niels » 8. aug 2011, 15:18

Aquila skrev:I am glad you didn't translate your post from English to Danish, because it would more or less become unreadable :-)

I also hope everyone is okay with me replying in English, because this language has a special place in my heart, and I take every opportunity I get to communicate in this language!

Fantastic write-up Ian - really elaborative and easily understandable! Seems like a great value for money amplifier!

I second that.

Hi Ian.

The Sunrise is not for me at the moment, as i'm perfectly happe with my LittleDot MK IV SE, but it's allways nice to read some well written reviews, and in that way expand ones horizon. Thx. for that.

Lovely atmosphere, seems to attract nice people Billede.

Nice to have you on board.

Cheers

Niels
Niels

Indlægaf mcfrede » 18. aug 2011, 23:37

Jeg rykker lige endnu en gang for status på gruppekøb, er det aflyst eller?
Nu har jeg snart taget mig sammen og lavet kabinet til min Panda og hvad skal jeg så lave? (Nuvel endnu en Tripath forstærker, til værkstedet, kunne nok komme på tale, men hovedtelefonforstærkere ER nu engang bare sjove).
McFrede --> :cry: :lol: <-- Verden
mcfrede

Brugeravatar
DIY god

Geografisk sted: Vestsjælland, Danmark

Indlægaf Claus-DK » 19. aug 2011, 02:06

Der er ikke aflyst noget, men det er på tide vi laver en deadline, for ellers risikere det hele at rende ud i sandet..

Hvad siger i til 1/9 ??

Hvis der er nok der melder sig til tager vi den derfra..

Så dem der er på bedes venligst poste de er på NU, tilmeldingerne er bindende, for jeg har ikke lyst til at lave et stykke arbejde som går i vasken fordi der er nogle der melder fra i sidste øjeblik..
Claus-DK

Brugeravatar
Administrator

Indlægaf mcfrede » 27. aug 2011, 01:10

Pandaen er færdig (altså, som i projektet er færdigt, forstærkeren spiller fint), så jeg er på!
McFrede --> :cry: :lol: <-- Verden
mcfrede

Brugeravatar
DIY god

Geografisk sted: Vestsjælland, Danmark

Indlægaf Buyer no 1 » 27. aug 2011, 21:54

Hvis den forventede pris stadig hedder under en tusse incl. alt, er jeg også på!
Buyer no 1

Brugeravatar

Geografisk sted: Region Hovedstaden

Indlægaf Buyer no 1 » 1. sep 2011, 20:54

Status?

Skal jeg ud og investere i gummihandsker, eller hva'? :grin:
Buyer no 1

Brugeravatar

Indlægaf Claus-DK » 1. sep 2011, 21:10

Der er kun dig og Mcfrede, så måske i skulle slå pjalterne sammen og spare en dummebøde..

Så vi må nok anse et gruppe køb som værende dødt, desværre
Claus-DK

Brugeravatar
Administrator

Re: Sunrise (Gruppekøb aflyst)

Indlægaf Buyer no 1 » 1. sep 2011, 21:20

Øv. Det kunne ellers være fedt med et fælles "begynderprojekt". Jeg har jo stadig ikke fundet ud hvilken ende af loddekolben der er den varme....
Buyer no 1

Brugeravatar

Re: Sunrise (Gruppekøb aflyst)

Indlægaf Claus-DK » 1. sep 2011, 22:05

Det er stadig et godt og billigt begyndersæt..
Claus-DK

Brugeravatar
Administrator

Foregående

Tilbage til Gør det selv