Varna III & IV

Varna III & IV

Indlægaf McM_dk » 6. aug 2015, 21:45

Dear friends, with special pride I present to you my latest model USB AUDIO DAC, called "VARNA III". In the next few lines I will try to describe it as detailed as possible to see what is really new and valuable in this evolutionary model.

Billede
Billede

SPECIFICATIONS:
Word Lenght - 16bit
Sampling Rate - 32kHz/44.1kHz/48kHz
Processor Type - BurrBrown, Texas Instruments, PCM2706/7CDB for the headphone outputs and BURR BROWN PCM5100 for the linear outputs
Output Signal Level for the linear outputs - 2,1V (RMS)
THD+N for the linear outputs - 90dB
SNR for the linear outputs - 100dB
THD+N with load 32Ohm for the headpnone outputs - 0,025%
Output power at 32Ohm load for the headphone otputs- 12mW
SNR for the headphone outputs - 98dB
Input Interface - USB 1.1 type B (printer type)
Output Interfaces - line out type RCA; 3,5mm headphone jack. All outputs can operate simultaneously.
Power options - feeded by USB

Dimensions: H-56mm; W-90mm; L (with plugs)-116mm
Weight: 320g
Designed and handcrafted in Bulgaria by eng.Ivelin Yovchev

the price is 149 Euro. Packing and worldwide shipping - FREE.

III er vist erstattet af IV, der er ikke længere et link til III

REVIEW:
http://www.myhifi.org/%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%BE-%D1%81%D0%BB%D1%83%D1%88%D0%B0%D1%85%D0%BC%D0%B5/156-%D0%B1%D1%8A%D0%BB%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D1%8F%D1%82-usb-%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BA-thaulab-varna-iii
Senest rettet af McM_dk 7. aug 2015, 12:58, rettet i alt 3 gange.
* Zigis RnG * HAD Maestral II * Eufonika H3 * Eufonika H14PE *
* Varna II * Henry MK1 * Aune X8 * *EWCG Discrete R2R HAT PI *
* Beyer DT990 * Beyer Amiron * Ollo S4R * Ollo S4 |
McM_dk

Brugeravatar

Geografisk sted: 6600 Vejen

Re: Varna III

Indlægaf kvik » 6. aug 2015, 22:44

Og der er en IV også :-)

Google translate:

Here it was born the new model, based exactly on this prototype above. Many successful USB DAC "VARNA III" lived fast his earthly path. From late November 2014, when the first units to the day before when selling the latter. Short but turbulent life marked a whole new direction in the model line of portable USB DAC-me s. "VARNA III" contained many radical new solutions shemotehnicheski. Personally, I leave two copies for personal use in my professional activity, as this model is very suitable prezens in bass and treble, which fits perfectly my professional sound equipment.

But to go to the heir. He should have said "VARNA IIIA". Then I thought why not "VARNA 3.1". Finally, I heard the final product and realized that this is a qualitatively new USB DAC. For this worth following model numbers or "VARNA IV". In fact PCB is identical in dimensions and layout of the pins. The boxes will be exactly the same. But the board itself, things are very different. Why? Because "VARNA IV" has been made primarily with the idea to draw the sound quality compared to the previous model. It has all so valuable and innovative benefits of the trio, but qualitatively new level. What are the specific differences:

1. linear output signal is obtained from WM8524 of WOLFSON (in "VARNA III" that was PCM5100 of BURR BROWN). Ulfsanskite DAK-s always possessed great musicality. This is no exception. It is heard immediately, from the very first sounds of music playback in this chip.

2. Use only branded electrolytic capacitors Japanese company NICHICON. For analog part enjoy audio grayd FW Series and KA. For the digital part comes in use ultra low ESR series HD. Everything is supplied directly from the official distributor of NICHICON - company MOUSER. No reupholstering Chinese tation of e-Bay for pennies. Consumed capacitors have serious prices, but ensure high quality.

3. Completely new topology table. It now consists of three independent clones, which bind at one point only to the chip. How exactly is realized, it's design secret. But the result is clearly audible.

4. The output RC-filter is already implemented with due quality components-resistors, the Japanese company KOA SPEER (which produces audiophile brand resistors KIWAME-sounding favorite of yours truly) and film capacitors series Kemmel MCC (former RIFA).

How affect the above points sound? Not just for this fight for a better sound. Because lately overwhelmed by listening, evaluation of the new model not rely solely on your own ears. I conducted independent auditions with several audiophiles, still inexperienced in the field with trained ears. I relied entirely on their evaluation. Fortunately, their assessments exactly match what I hear. To be fair comparison, before they released "VARNA IV", plays back the old model "VARNA III". And thanks to that immediately gave me adequate conclusions about differences in sound. When playing "VARNA IV", one and all reacted in the same way with the words "eeee, it is quite another thing." For me this is very indicative response giving dimension to the size of the differences in sound between the two models. What made them say that? From the first chords of course, that the quartet is significantly more musical and pleasant to the ear. BURR BROWN chips all have one common characteristic likely to have clinically sterile sound. Who greater degree, who less, but this is a common feature of the DAC-s from this manufacturer and not from yesterday. Turn WOLFSON are the other pole, they always make musical sounding chips. Even if there are posts on the Internet that one of their top models WM8742 sitting very close on this parameter to the absolute champion musicality for all vremena- classics PHILIPS TDA1541 / A (actually my favorite). The second aspect that distinguishes "VARNA IV" from the previous model is the feeling of the scene. WOLFSON-pean chip draws much broader musical picture. Here RSM5100 lost dramatically. No, there is no scene, but WM8524 e noticeably more airy and open space. The third direction is clearer focus the instruments and vocals. They locate more accurately and create a well-defined three-dimensional picture. Overall, the new model "VARNA IV" sits closer to the heart of an audiophile, although again it is intended mainly for professional sound and applications requiring easy portability. Or simply replace the built-in map of your laptop. He's definitely playing better than her. For this price I at least did not find anything better playing. If there will be happy to buy it.

http://forum.audioplatinum.com/viewtopi ... =38&t=4950
kvik

Brugeravatar

Geografisk sted: Norge

Re: Varna III

Indlægaf McM_dk » 6. aug 2015, 22:53

kvik skrev:Og der er en IV også :-)

Tak!
De har bare glemt at smide den i deres Engelske sub-forum, derfor jeg ikke fik den med. :)

Nåh men jeg har lige mailet Ivelin omkring den IV, jeg er lidt nysgerrig fordi han nu bruger Wolfson (bass).

/Carsten
McM_dk

Brugeravatar

Re: Varna III & IV

Indlægaf McM_dk » 7. aug 2015, 12:56

Dear friends, with special pride I present to you my latest model USB AUDIO DAC, called "VARNA IV". In the next few lines I will try to describe it as detailed as possible to see what is really new and valuable in this evolutionary model.

Billede
Billede

First, I must start with the idea that lay at the heart of this USB DAC. For quite some time I wanted to make such a device which combines the absolutely trouble-free operation and the software/hardware compatibility when using IC from the series PCM270x of "BURR BROWN", wonderful audiophile sound of my previous series USB DAC-s, but also have high output signal level to can be used successfully for professional use by DJ's and sound engineers. This USB DAC combines two unique properties-super ease of use in professional work, but also has an unique full-blooded, rich, natural and detailed sound. After all, for whom is this model targeted - for sound engineers and DJ's or for audiophiles? In fact, the device is very convenient for the DJ's and sound engineers, but it's high-quality sound directly qualify the DAC as an audiophile product.

Now I will point out the main design advantages of the device:

1.Using as USB receiver, the IC with proven software/hardware compatibility and absolutely smooth/reliable performance - PCM2706/07 BURR BROWN. This provides an invaluable advantage of the device to work with any operating system, without the need for special drivers-Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8; Linux; MacOS; Android 4.0 and above; even with microcomputer "Raspberry Pi" + software "Volumio". This is a very important feature - just plug the device in the USB socket of the computer and it starts to operate immediately. No need for any additional software drivers.

2.Using full galvanic insulation of the USB DAC "VARNA IV" from the computer to which it is connected. The separation was done on all four USB transfer lines D +, D-, Vbus and GND. Galvanic insulation of the digital part is made by using proven galvanic insulation IC ANALOG DEVICES aDUM4160. The power line from the USB port is insulated by galvanic pulse scheme DC-DC converter. In both realized topology, all the noises, disturbances and ground loops are going into the oblivion. The annoying requirement to plug the computer and amplifier in the same wall power socket is eliminated. "VARNA IV" breaks galvanicaly all electrical connections with the PC and thus achieves two very important advantages, resistance to interference, and greatly facilitated the use of the device.

3.Although we have galvanic barrier to the computer, "VARNA IV" requires no additional external power supply. This USB DAC is powered from the USB port to which the DAC is connected. This solution provides the next very important advantage, saving additional PSU. Saving the additional PSU means ease of use, less size and weight to carry, lower price.

4.Using entirely external, discrete, ultra low noise voltage regulators and filter solutions for maximum purity of the PSU. "VARNA IV" incorporates just 7 pieces independent discrete voltage regulators with ultra low noise levels made by MICROCHIP. All integrated power regulators in the IC's are switched off and are not used. Each individual function of each of the three IC's in the scheme is powered by its own ultra low noise voltage regulator and RC-filter. This is where lies the secret of the sound of this model. The low noise PSU is the main factor that allows the creation of a true audiophile device.

5.Separation of digital and analog ground planes and linking them only at one point. This approach ensures minimal penetration of high-frequency noise from digital part in the analog circuit. This is an another condition which builds the audiophile sound quality of "VARNA IV".

6.The linear outputs of "VARNA IV" receives signal from WM8524. This DAC IC incorporates a built-in charge pump in it's topology. The IC is powered by 3,3V of unipolar voltage, but the charge pump generates the mirror negative supply voltage. This allows the output of the IC to be theoretically free of DC-offset, which automatically ejected the decoupling capacitors. The linear outputs are feeded directly from the terminals of the chip. This simplifies a lot the analog circuit of WM8524 and reduces it only to a simple RC-filter. You will not believe what is growth of the sound quality only because of the removing of the decoupling capacitors in the signal path! This is another design success on the road to the audiophile sound.

7.Using a two-layer PCB with solid ground plane's. Typicaly for the models of the series "VARNA" and the new "VARNA IV" is based on the two-layer PCB with large low-resistance ground planes. The base components are carefully selected not only by it's parameters, but also by the most important-by it's sounding. There is no one component that is positioned accidentally. All power pins of chips are filtered locally with high capacity SMD capacitors.

8.Using a massive anti-resonant box of 12mm MDF, upholstered in hard-wearing black leather for car upholstery.

9.High output level from the linear outputs. The new model IC WM8524 has an excellent high output level-2,1V RMS. About 3 times higher than PCM270x series.

What are the differences between the older model "VARNA III" and the newer "VARNA IV" ?

1. Linear output signal is obtained from WM8524 of WOLFSON (in "VARNA III" that was PCM5100 of BURR BROWN). WOLFSON's DAC's were always known with it's great musicality. This model WM8524 is no exception. It is heard immediately, from the very first sounds of music playing from this IC.

2. "VARNA IV" uses only brand electrolytic capacitors of the Japanese company "NICHICON". For analog part are used audio-grade FW Series and KA. For the digital part are used ultra low ESR series HD. Everything is supplied directly from the official distributor of NICHICON - the company MOUSER. No any Chinese fake capacitors from E-Bay for pennies. Used capacitors have serious prices, but ensure high quality.

3.Entirely new topology of the ground-plane. It now consists of three independent clones, which bind at one point only to the chip. How exactly is realized, it's design secret. But the result is clearly audible.

4. The output RC-filter is already realized with proper quality components-resistors of the Japanese company "KOA SPEER" (which produces audiophile brand resistors KIWAME) and KEMET film capacitors series MMC (former RIFA).

Изображение

SPECIFICATIONS:
Word Lenght - 16bit
Processor Type - BurrBrown, Texas Instruments, PCM2706/7CDB for the headphone outputs and WOLFSON WM8524 for the linear outputs
THD+N for the linear outputs - 89dB at -1dBFS
SNR for the linear outputs - 106dB
THD+N with load 32Ohm for the headpnone outputs - 0,025%
Output power at 32Ohm load for the headphone otputs- 12mW
SNR for the headphone outputs - 98dB
Output Interfaces - line out type RCA; 3,5mm headphone jack. All outputs can operate simultaneously.
Power options - feeded by USB

Dimensions: H-55mm; W-90mm; L (with plugs)-117mm
Weight: 320g

Attention! The USB DAC may have output DC offset about 1-2mV. These are minor values ​​and are practically negligible, but I have to mention this fact.

How to purchase USB DAC model "VARNA IV" ?

If you want to buy this product, please, contact me to the following e-mail: [email protected]
The price is 129 Euro. Packing and worldwide shipping - FREE. I use only registered, priority mail, with tracking number. This is the fastest and the most safe shipping method. I prefer PAYPAL transactions.
McM_dk

Brugeravatar

Indlægaf kvik » 7. aug 2015, 14:49

kvik

Brugeravatar

Indlægaf kvik » 24. jun 2017, 14:58

Her et par år senere var jeg nysgerrig, og der er sket en del med Varna, der nu er i sin femte udgave. Nu begynder det at ligne en rigtig DAC, både på komponentsiden og udseendesmæssigt. Prisen er så også derefter, €350-450, uden at være decideret afskrækkende.

VARNA5 front.jpg
VARNA5 front.jpg (769.38 KiB) Vist 8279 gange
VARNA5 side.jpg
VARNA5 side.jpg (1.51 MiB) Vist 8279 gange
VARNA5 back.jpg
VARNA5 back.jpg (1.41 MiB) Vist 8279 gange
VARNA5 bottom.jpg
VARNA5 bottom.jpg (1.93 MiB) Vist 8279 gange

Essentially, this is a highly improved version of "VARNA 4", where are removed all disadvantages of its predecessor. Digital to analog converter is an excellent sounding WM8524 by the British of WOLFSON MICROELECTRONIC. This DAC has got a natural sound, perfect 3D-scene and great detail. Naturally, I helped WM8524 to reveal its full potential as I have surrounded it with HQ "company".

These are the major improvements in this model called "VARNA 5":

1.No more switched mode PSU's ! "VARNA 5" uses two fully independent linear regulated low noise PSU's, one for analog circuit and the other for the digital circuit.

2.All ceramic capacitors are removed and changed with HQ audio grade electrolityc capacitors NICHICON FW. This DAC contains exactly 12pcs of NICHICON's on the PCB (vs 5pcs in the "VARNA 4").

3.For timing device is used "ultra low jitter" korean made quartz oscillator "ABRACON", with guaranteed jitter below 1ps. The timing device is separately feeded with power by it's own independent ultra low noise voltage regulator and RC-filter. This decision provides more clearness and micro-detail in the sound.

4.The ground plane now consists of three independent areas. The digital and the analog ground planes are separated, preventing penetration of the digital interferences in the analog stage.

5.PCB's are mounted on a massive 12mm MDF plate for prevention of unwanted resonances.

6.Cast aluminium USB connector "APHENOL" and massive cast 24K-gold platted output RCA sockets.

7.Entirely new design of the enclosure, with aluminium covers and wooden veneer covered MDF base.

Model "VARNA 5" includes all advantages of it's predecessor "VARNA 4":

1.Full galvanic insulation of the USB DAC "VARNA 5" from the computer to which it is connected. The separation was done on all four USB transfer lines D +, D-, Vbus and GND. Galvanic insulation of the digital part is made by using proven galvanic insulation IC ANALOG DEVICES aDUM4160. The annoying requirement to plug the computer and amplifier in the same wall power socket is eliminated. "VARNA IV" breaks galvanicaly all electrical connections with the PC and thus achieves two very important advantages, resistance to interference, and greatly facilitated the use of the device.

2.High output level from the linear outputs. The new model IC WM8524 has an excellent high output level-2,1V RMS. About 3 times higher than PCM270x series.

3.No decoupling capacitors in the signal path. Direct connection from the WM8524 output pins via HQ passive LPF including KOA SPEER (made in Japan) resistor and KEMET MMC nonpolar capacitor.

4.Using as USB receiver, the IC with proven software/hardware compatibility and absolutely smooth/reliable performance - PCM2706/07 BURR BROWN. This provides an invaluable advantage of the device to work with any operating system, without the need for special drivers-Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8; Linux; MacOS; Android 4.0 and above; even with microcomputer "Raspberry Pi" + software "Volumio". This is a very important feature - just plug the device in the USB socket of the computer and it starts to operate immediately. No need for any additional software drivers.

5.Using entirely external, discrete, ultra low noise voltage regulators and filter solutions for maximum purity of the PSU.

6.Using a two-layer PCB with solid ground plane's. Typicaly for the models of the series "VARNA" and the new "VARNA 5" is based on the two-layer PCB with large low-resistance ground planes. The base components are carefully selected not only by it's parameters, but also by the most important-by it's sounding. There is no one component that is positioned accidentally.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Word Lenght - 16bit
Processor Type - BurrBrown, Texas Instruments, PCM2706/7CDB and WOLFSON WM8524
THD+N for the linear outputs - 89dB at -1dBFS
SNR for the linear outputs - 106dB
Output Interfaces - line out type RCA
Power options - feeded by IEC type cable (computer power cable), 220-240Vac/50Hz

Dimensions: H-90mm; W-250mm; L (with plugs)-270mm
Weight: 2.900kg

http://forum.audioplatinum.com/viewtopi ... =90&t=5350

--

Tilføjelse

Varna 5 er muligvis nu blevet til 5.1. En oversættelse af den bulgarske tekst i linket herunder tyder på det. Prisen er måske også gået en del op (€529-639). Her må man nok kontakte konstruktøren for at afklare nærmere, hvis man finder DAC'en interssant.

http://audioplatinum.com/bg/продукти/19-сглобени-модули/62-usb-audio-dac-model-varna-5
kvik

Brugeravatar

Indlægaf Mortenhoe » 25. jun 2017, 00:02

Prisstigningen skyldes nok især implementeringen af 2 liniære strømforsyninger. Men det er da lidt et hårdt markede at konkurrere på, med en 16bit DAC i det prisleje.
Elektrikeren.
Stationary: Aune S6 Pro. Sennheiser HD800 balanceret.
Portable: Mifo O7 og O5 Pro. Anomoibuds Capsule. Radsone ES100. Balanceret Audio Technica M50x. Balanceret EMXs-500.
Collection: Bravo Audio Ocean. Zishan Z3. Balanceret HiFiMan HE-400. Cleer DU. Yamaha YH-3(Custom). Superlux HD-681. VE Monk + lidt mere.
Mortenhoe

Brugeravatar

Geografisk sted: Horsens

Indlægaf kvik » 25. jun 2017, 12:28

Ja, det er et lidt andet segment, den nye uidgave befinder sig i. Det er nok i virkeligheden en helt ny DAC, ikke blot en ny udgave af den gamle. Netop det synes jeg er anerkendelsesværdigt, at konstruktøren lytter til feedback og søger at forbedre sit produkt. Som du siger, er konkurrencen hård i den prisklasse, så det er nok ikke salgsvolume, der driver ham, men mere professionel stolthed. De €529-639 jeg nævnte ovenfor, viser sig at være bulgarske lev (møntenhed), hvilket svarer til €270-325 og sikkert er den rent indenlandske pris. Han har også arbejdet på en R2R/NOS DAC (AD1865) nogle år, og jeg havde lidt håbet, at den måske ville være til at betale. Hvorvidt projektet så udmønter sig i et egentligt slutprodukt er svært at bedømme. http://forum.audioplatinum.com/viewtopi ... =38&t=5136
kvik

Brugeravatar

Indlægaf kvik » 20. okt 2017, 13:35

VARNA 4H, også med Wolfson WМ8524 som i VARNA 5.1

Varna 4H.jpg
Varna 4H.jpg (67.46 KiB) Vist 7807 gange

Jeg kan godt lide, at han er begyndt at gøre lidt ud af indpakningen også.
kvik

Brugeravatar

Tilbage til DAC/Hovedtelefonforstærker